Will You Be My Valentine: D.I.Y Decor and More

So here we are two weeks away from the day of "Love" or the most mass marketed holiday. This holiday can bring up feelings of joy and excitement, but it can also bring up feelings of resentment and hate. No matter the side of the fence you sit on (the middle like me), you may have an inkling to decorate for the holiday, or need to get some Valentine's put together for your child's class. I've compiled a list of some budget friendly D.I.Y Decor and handmade Valentine ideas, some I have done myself, and other's I have found in the bottomless pit of ideas also known as Pinterest, 

Decor: Even with Dollar store's having amazing selections of craft supplies and seasonal decor it can be easy to go spend a ton of money where it isn't needed. I wanted to decorate for the 'Holiday' my reasons can be found in my previous post The Hallmark Holiday. I also didn't want to break the bank doing so. I love my kids and would do anything for them, but bankrupting us just to decorate and celebrate one day isn't going to help any of us. I found at our local dollar store so great pre-made decorations but kept my budget to $5 of items that will be tossed and unable to be reused, and allowed a total of $25 dollars for craft supplies, (if needed as most of the supplies we already have in our craft bin used all year round) for some D.I.Y budget friendly decor and other items that can be reused.

1) Mason Jar Decor: This one is really simple, most people now a days have a few mason jars lying around the house (this could also easily be done with nice jam jars that have been thoroughly cleaned out). I took Paper doilies, and some red twine I had laying around from Christmas and cut out some paper hearts, using paper I found in my craft supply bin. 

2) Burlap Valentine's Banner: Cut Triangle banner shapes from Burlap Sheets (these can be found at most Dollarama locations or local Craft supply store. Use glue like Modge Podge to write out the letters and sprinkle glitter and voila. Attach using ribbon or twine and hang anywhere in the home. ***Pro Tip: use a cardboard box to do your glittering on and throw it outside after you are done. The glitter stays contained to one area instead of all over the place***

3) Crocheted Heart Garland: This is for those that own crochet hooks, and have some yarn laying around. Depending on the size of the hook and yarn depends on the size heart you make. I used left over yarn from another project and crocheted many tiny hearts and then threaded them together. It can be strung and hung from anywhere or can be attached to a canvas for a piece of wall art. Find the Pattern Here at Domestic Bliss.

4) Thumb Print Hearts Ornaments: (this is more of a craft for kids) Use any recipe for Salt Dough (Mine is 2 Cup All purpose Flour, 1 Cup Salt, 3/4 Cup Warm Water) Cut desired shapes (we used a heart) Press childs thumb into ornanment using red paint or whichever colour you choose. When shapes are done place on parchment lined baking sheet in preheated 200 F oven for 1 to 2 hours depending on the thickness of your ornaments)  Once cooled and decorated you need to seal them with an acrylic sealer or Modge Podge, this prevents cracking later on. We actually made these at Christmas and did them in Christmas Colours but these can also be made at valentines, This holiday we are making them into magnets. (They can be made into just about anything)

5) Paper Heart Tree: This one is super simple, collect some sticks and twigs, put them in a vase or nice jar, attach paper hearts. 

There are so many other ideas (But these are a few that we have made and done) You could get lost for hours on Pinterest looking at ideas. 

Valentines: Non Candy Valentines, are the up and coming trend. However thanks to Pinterest and Crafty Mom's everywhere plain old paper Valentines no longer seem to be the in thing. (Many people still use them, so lets not knock those who do). We opt for a Non Candy Valentine as my oldest has a Red Dye Allergy. Red white and Pink are the common colours for Valentine's treats. So he usually doesn't get to partake in that way. So we get a small treat, be it a pencil or eraser or some other novelty item.

As mentioned in my previous post my Mother is a Queen of Crafting and saw some super cute Valentine's using Hot wheels cars. Be warned these are not the most budget friendly Valentine's, however My son has always had a very small class. My rule of thumb is no more than the cost of a candy bar per child. These happened to work out well since we had most of the supplies on hand, purchased a bulk box of Hot Wheels cars on sale and away we went. He had a great time selecting the individual cars for each of his friends and he wrote their names on each card, all that I had to do was tie the knot on the car. See Number 13 below. (Confession this year I found Valentine's similar to what my son wanted to make on Pinterest [see No.8], already done at the dollar store! #Momwin)

POPSUGAR. has an entire list on their site. I also have it saved to my pins for later. 

Here are some of my Favourite Non Candy Valentine's (Many with Free Printables)

1.Sports Balls (Gluesticks and Gumdrops)

2.Your Friendship Blows me Away (Bliss Bloom Blog)

3.Playdoh Printable (The Nerds Wife)

4.Mustache you a Question (I can Teach My Child)

5.Toadally Awesome (Crap I've Made)

6.Write to the Point (Liz on Call)

7.Tiny Animal Valentines (Sweet Cs Designs)

8.You're A-maze-ing (Balancing Home)

9.You're Awesome Sauce (C.R.A.F.T)

10.Glow Stick Printable (30 Minute Crafts)

11. Heart Pop (Crazy Little Projects)

12. Ex-Straw Special (It's Always Autumn)

13. Make My Heart Race (Hello Wonderful)

I could Honestly go on and on, there are so many great ideas out there. Follow Mommy Dearest HQ on Pinterest for more ideas. 

For Craft Ideas for kids Visit The Unprepared Mommy for some great ideas. 

Whether you go to the nines with the decorations or send 1 or 100 Valentine's, You're making someone's heart smile, even if just for a day. 

~ Mommy Dearest




DIY Valentine's Inspired by The Lou Lou Girl's







Comments

  1. I'm not the biggest Valentine's Day decorator, but we do pull some things out because my youngest daughter love it. I love that banner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the banner was actually really easy to make. It wasn't one of those DIY's where I was cursing. It turned out pretty cute.

      Delete
  2. These came out so cute! I have been wanting to do a little Valentine's day decorating this year since I never really decorate for this holiday. My daughter loves it though so I may have to do a few crafts with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy about how these all turned out. Usually I'm cursing at a DIY because it doesn't turn out like I pictured or it was much harder than anticipated. These were all super easy and took little to no time. Crafts with the kids are always fun. My boy's aren't too big into crafts at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I don't hate valentines because I think it's fantastic to treat your loved ones but I do hate the commercialization of the day and the over priced flowers. I love love your burlap banner and I have always wanted to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I agree everything becomes so expensive and mass marketed. But you really can celebrate any holiday on a dime. I'm looking forward to the 15th when all the sweets are on sale lol. I too wanted a banner and was surprised at how easy and inexpensive it was.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the "Be Mine" banner !! I'm always looking for new Valentines decor and I think I just found my new project, thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm glad I could help inspire someone. I wanted to keep decor simple and inexpensive.

      Delete
  5. I'm loving the crochet garland. I wish i knew how, because it is so adorable. Also, i love that you are committed to no giving candy valentines. The toy cars are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly learned how to crochet watching YouTube Videos. I only started a couple of years ago and have been able to bust off quite a few projects. Mikey at the Crochet Crowd was an awesome teacher. I also watched videos By Moogly. Once you learn the basics it's pretty simple. You should give it a try.

      Delete
  6. These are the cutest DIYs! My son would love the car Valentine's, but I'd probably cheap out and get the little party favor cars. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lucked out that my son's class only had 15 kids in it including him and found the large box of hotwheels I believe it was 16 in a box for under $10 so It was a lucky break. This year I found the Valentines premade that my son wanted to do for $2 for 12 so it cost me a whopping $4 for his Valentines this year. The worst part will be writing them out lol

      Delete
  7. My husband and I are living in Denmark right now and all the popular "North American" holidays are just slowly starting to make their way here (Halloween, Valentines Day etc). Valentine's Day isn't really a thing. People know what it is but it's nothing like back home! But I do think the stores here like to sort of cash in on some Valentine's merch haha. I love the mason jar idea!! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to find out what other countries do or don't do for our Modern Day North American Holidays. I loved the mason jar decor because we have an abundance at this time of year as we have gone through half of our canned goods.

      Delete
  8. This is so romantic and easy to prepare for valentines day. I'm now excited on valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty romantic, easy to do and budget friendly.

      Delete
  9. If I get on top of things I will decorate this year. It would be really cute to surprise my kids in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun to decorate the night before and surprise the kids. I did that last year for St. Paddy's Day and my boys loved it. I may have to do it next year.

      Delete
  10. I've never thought about decorating for Valentine's Day, but I decorate for literally every other holiday so I am going to start doing this as well. I love the be mine banner! These would be so cute in a classroom. I love arts and crafts. I am now excited to decorate! Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I too decorate for just about everything else, so when my son pointed it out, I knew I had to do something. These are pretty classroom friendly.

      Delete
  11. These are all super cute! I love how you can find great easy decor and it doesn't have to be expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Simple decor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg are always amazing in my books.

      Delete
  12. I always love getting crafty on Valentine's Day. There are so many cute things to make in your post - thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is going to swallow me whole... lol There are so many ideas on there. Thankfully most of them are on price point, or free if you have the materials on hand. I've been pretty good to keep a well supplied "craft" bin

      Delete
  13. Totally love that banner! I love that decorations like that have become popular again lately, and I love that yours is burlap -- it gives it just enough of a unique feel while still contributing to the overall cuteness!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really great ideas for the classroom, where you tend to see more Valentine's Day decoration. They would also be fun if you were having a V-day party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really cute and simple ideas. It doesn't take much to be a little festive and my kids love decorating for holidays. I love the mason jars! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cute! I can't believe I haven't decorated for Valentine's Day yet! I am doing today when my kids get back from school!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so cute! I look fun and easy Diy Projects like this. So perfect for Valentines Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the shout out! you have so many fun ideas! I'm so excited for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angela Ricardo Bethea1 February 2018 at 08:09

    Oh, That is such a cute Valentine's Day decoration. You really have some great ideas. Valentine's is in the corner. So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I usually have our house decorated for Valentine's Day by now but I haven't done anything yet. I'll be decorating this weekend and then working on our daughters' valentines with them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so sweet. I have been trying to think about something cute for my boys. I'm lucky enough to have 4 Valentine's :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment and Let us know what you think.